Thursday, January 23, 2014

Tony Solomun's The Quarterly with Kennedy Professor of Latin, Stephen Oakley

Hello,and thank you for reading my article,
This time around I chose for the subject at hand,The Roman historian,
Titus Livy, (59BC-17AD)
A strange and yet peculiar individual,who devoted his whole creative life on  transcribing the history of the great
Roman Republic and later the Roman Empire, in his series 'The History of Rome'.
Such an in depth and insightful history of his nation,throughout the ages has,was and is still unparalleled in its vast scope,though even so many of the volumes are lost to history itself,and only about 35 remain out of more than a 100,
I first found out about Livy through my treasured many Penguin Classics,
Therein I read the contributors list and found the name of Professor Stephen Oakley,
Immediately I researched his work and bought numerous books of his,
including A Commentary on Livy in its many volumes and Archaeological monograph of the early Roman state,I was immediately enthralled,

I was able to contact the Professor directly and asked him,as he has devoted a lot of time on Livy,indeed,I asked him what led him to begin his study on the man's work,to which he graciously replied with  

"I was first attracted to Livy because I was both interested in the history of the Roman Republic and in his narrative style. The more of him that I read, the more I enjoyed him.


And Indeed if he will return to the subject matter,


"I do hope to get back to writing commentaries on Livy in about 3 years."


I wholeheartedly thank the dear Professor for collaborating on this article,Mr Oakley is currently in the Cambridge University Faculty of Classics and the current Kennedy Professor of Latin,

you can find his books on amazon in its various iterations and directly from Oxford University Press,

Thank you and I will be writing more The Quarterly when time allows,

Tony Solomun

No comments:

Post a Comment